Have you ever heard the old Japanese adage, “ten thousand steps a day”? Studies have shown that a simple brisk walk everyday is so good for the mind, body and spirit. The benefits are endless and, when done regularly and effectively, these rewards include cardio-vascular health; maintaining optimum weight; improvement of circulation; good posture and over-all sense of well-being…just to name a few. But if you suffer from foot ailments, it can be very difficult to take advantage of this great form of exercise. So here are some tips to make your walking more enjoyable:
- Wear socks or stockings with your footwear to keep them dry and to cushion and protect them from excess pressure.
- Take advantage of a nutritionally balanced diet that includes all essential vitamins, oils and minerals.
- Avoid smoking. Believe it or not, this bad habit can actually increase your risk of foot problems.
- Make sure that you stretch properly before each and every walk, especially during the colder months when we’re more susceptible to injuries.
- If you suffer from health problems such as osteoporosis and arthritis, consult a physician first before embarking upon a regular walking schedule. To minimize the likelihood of injury, I recommend a complete “Gait Analysis” whereby a foot specialist such as myself can examine your walk and make sure that your gait doesn’t cause injury to your feet which if left untreated can lead to other health complications.
- Wear the proper footwear. Imagine all the pounding that your feet, knees and back take during a long walk. Without proper-fitting and protective shoes, you’re putting yourself at jeopardy with each and every step. Many folks think that orthotics are meant only for those that are already faced with foot ailments but you’d be surprised at how effectively preventative these devices can be to keeping your feet at their optimum health.
- If you already experience problems with your feet such as corns, calluses, in-grown nails, put a stop to the suffering and visit our clinic.
Let us help you put your best foot forward.
In an ongoing series, Anamelva will share her knowledge regarding common foot ailments and appropriate treatments. Most of us will encounter a problem at one time or another, so read and learn! If you’re in pain, or suffer from any of the ensuing conditions, call Anamelva today!